Following the directions in the Tutorial, I ironed on the interface on the inside of the jean. Then I turned it right-side out and started sewing back and forth, back and forth... over and over again. My first attempt's results were:
Looks like someone took a pen and scribbled on some paper, right?
This is what it looks like on the outside of the pants:
With my first attempt, I tried my hardest to cover up as much white as possible. The picture shown above demonstrates the difference of pre-stitching vs. post-stitching. Hardly a difference. There's still a lot of white showing, even though I tried my hardest.
With the first attempt, I was trying to stitch with the grain of the pants. After it took forever-and-a-day to finish, I wanted to see what would happen if I did a more... sloppy stitch.
With this one (above), I didn't care about the grain and I stitched much fewer lines. I didn't take a picture of the finished product, but there wasn't much of a difference between my first attempt and my second attempt. They were both patched up and still had some faded white showing through the stitching. But all-in-all, they looked pretty good!
BE CAREFUL! You could end up sewing a few layers together. I was very careful while I was sewing, trying to keep it as flat as I could feel. Somehow there were still a few stitches that attached themselves to another layer of the pants. THIS CAN HAPPEN TO YOU!!!
Luckily I didn't sew too much into the fabric, and it's a really easy fix. You just snip the extra threads and re-do the area that was snipped. Easy peasy.
The tutorial mentions that you can sew a border around the excess white interfacing to keep it from coming loose. I have NO idea how you'd be able to sew a 360 degrees on a pant-leg, though, without hand stitching it. I've seen other tutorials where they take pinking scissors and cut around the sewn part. I would personally just keep ironing it back down every time it comes up, or just trim it then iron it. I'm a low-maintenance kind-of-gal.
Overall, the project was easy. Another 2/5. Might be 3/5 depending on your sewing skills (for my sister, this'd be a 3/5 project) but if you're used to handling a sewing machine, it's pretty easy. The thread I used was this, Dual Dity Plus Denim Thread. Great stuff.
Also I have to apologize; the reason it took a few days to create this post was because we had family over periodically throughout the weekend starting Friday, so I just wasn't able to update. Family first, ya know. :)